Saturday, January 2, 2016

One Word for 2016

The last time I blogged was right before the start of the school year as I began a new year in a new building with new students. I have been admittedly been remiss in my writing up until now, so with the start of the new year comes a perfect time to reflect and make goals for 2016. One of my goals for 2016 is to prioritize my time in my role as principal. My roles and responsibilities are quite diverse; I can get pulled in a variety of directions on a given day. In the new year I am going to make a point to spend more time where it matters: with students. Since there is nothing more important in a school than student learning, my plan is to spend a significant part of my week in classrooms and around the school campus, supporting our students and staff who make Dexter Park such a special place to learn.

The start of the new year also brings about a wonderful opportunity to reflect with students and set goals for the coming year. At the start of the school year, I asked all Dexter Park students and staff to set Hopes and Dreams for the coming year. They are currently posted in the hallway of the school outside the office:



Monday, we will reflect on our Hopes and Dreams to check-in on our progress and make any adjustments. I am also going to ask all students to choose their One Word for 2016. We will not make resolutions; resolutions seldom work because they are based on the type of person we’re tired of being. Plus, resolutions can be “broken,” leaving no room for the process of growth. What if our hopes for the year ahead centered instead on who we want to become, and the transformation process? It’s okay to want to be a better you, and the New Year is a natural time to start. The question is, how? My One Word replaces broken promises with a vision for real change. When you choose a single word, you have a clarity and focus. You are moving toward the future rather than swearing off the past.

My One Word for 2016 is:



Every day I have a view of Dexter Park that no one else has (hence the title of the blog). I walk through classrooms every day and watch talented educators make learning happen for students. What I have realized is that I need to find ways to share this view with our staff, students, and families. Expect me in the coming year to be more visible on campus, connecting and supporting our students and staff. You can also expect me to be sharing my view every day so you can get a small glimpse of the tremendous work that Dexter Park's students and staff do. Be sure to connect with Dexter Park and myself through any of the following platforms:
Image result for twitter
@PrincipalDodge1
Image result for facebook
Dexter Park School
Image result for instagram logo
principaldodge1
Image result for periscope
@principaldodge1
I hope that you connect with Dexter Park this year and perhaps decide for yourself what your One Word for 2016 will be. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment