Monday, June 19, 2017

Dexter Park Staff Book Study: Week 1 Reflection


First of all, let me say how excited I am to be trying out this new format of books talks, and thank you to Anna for bringing it to us! I have done a little bit of blogging but not nearly as much as I'd like, so I am hoping this will give me the push I need to get back into it. I have already enjoyed the reflections posted already and am certain you will see blogging as another way to deeper reflect on your practice and learn from others.

I did not take the quiz. Actually, I started to take the quiz but found it very challenging. I went in thinking I would take it with the best knowledge I had during my last year of teaching, but then I realized my responses would not be accurate- even though it was 4 years ago, I would have trouble figuring out if it's what I wanted to be, or what I actually was as a classroom educator.

I will say, in reflection, what resonated with me is that teaching is such a complex act. As a leader, my goal is to be present in classrooms as much as possible and push educators' practice forward. In my first couple years, I leaned on the evaluation process to do this: visiting rooms, giving my perception of strengths and areas for growth, then coming back in a few weeks to check-in on progress. What I am learning is this does not move practice the way I had hoped because that process if heavily one-sided: it is my interpretation of just a sliver of an educator's year with students. Robyn points out something that I believe strongly, it's not as much about skill as it is mindset. In my years working with educators and leaders, there is no doubt that reflective practitioners are the most skilled and successful in their work. It is having a growth mindset, knowing there is always something for us to learn and grow in (which is why you are all in this book study!). It is also being honest and willing to admit when you have challenges or a lesson didn't go well, but then striving to make it better.

My goal for this book is to help grow educator capacity not through the evaluation system but through regular dialogue and reflection. I want to be able to support all of you as you are exploring these strategies in your practice but I also want to help others reflect on their practice. I am hoping each chapter will bring to light reflective questions that I can use to further promote the 7 principles not just in your classroom but throughout the building.

Again, so excited to take this journey with you!!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment